UX: Eliminating Errors Through Data

My investigation similar customer mishaps on a lead form revealed a much larger problem with the template my company had been using for years. The template used for promotional pages largely emphasized the lead form by having it directly on the page, because the company’s goal was for customers to purchase. The data illustrated customer confusion that caused wasted time on behalf of both customers and sales reps.

Before the Redesign

A button, usually hidden at the bottom of the page, led the customer to another page and a different form to redeem. The wording on the form was also confusing, saying simply: “Start here.” When I went through all the numbers for each division for the last few promotions, the data showed redemptions far outweighed lead form submissions, which meant hundreds of people were using these pages differently than assumed.

View an example of the old template.

The Redesign

In 2016 I won an Innovative Technology Team award for transforming our site’s basic lead forms into logical forms that captured more detailed data about our customers. It was utilizing this new data that I was able to investigate the problem.

Because users tend to skim over banners they’ve seen before, I added a large redemption CTA directly below the banner. I removed the lead form from the page and created a system for users to self-qualify.

In the new layout, each link to a form was specific in saying “Contact a Sales Rep to Purchase” or “Already purchased? Redeem here.”

mockup of new template design

Testing & Development

I initially started small and simply changed the wording on the original template, but the test results showed no difference in error rate. I gave several people a mockup based on the new wireframe layout with tasks to learn more about the product, attempt to purchase and attempt to redeem. There were no setbacks in testing, so I proceeded to test the new template on an upcoming promotion and it was a success, producing zero erroneous submissions.

In the weeks and months after launch, I continued to monitor form submissions and communicate with the customer experience team to see if we needed to make any tweaks to the design. There continued to be no further errors in lead form submission.

My new template thus became the standard for all new promotions and product launches at the company. The new template also allowed for the flexibilty of setting up a nurture track, which was useful for capturing data for those who may be interested in future purchase.

Lessons Learned

Challenge assumptions, and combine goals with data and research!

My company had previously hired a local agency to redesign the template to try to increase lead form submissions. This agency placed the redemption button in the footer, so it was more or less invisible to the customer, and they essentially left the layout of the template the same. There continued to be confused customers incorrectly filling out the lead form.

Once I dug into the data, I was able to illustrate the customer’s incorrect journey and successfully win over management on an in-house redesign.